You are here: Home Articles This site now uses OpenID
OpenID Log in

This site now uses OpenID

by admin last modified Oct 26, 2007 08:19 PM

If you want to comment... be a URL

To avoid comment spam and bypass the somewhat un-intuitive anonymous comment UI in Plone (Tom, Kai and co - how's that new commenting framework coming along?), I've disabled anonymous commenting but enabled OpenID.

You can log in and comment on posts via OpenID. If you don't have an OpenID account, you can get one from This is pretty painless, and you only have to do it once to use OpenID on any number of sites.

Document Actions

OpenID... it works...

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 09:16 PM
That was indeed painless... of course, i'm sure it's not half as painless to get an openid with a domain of one's own choosing (i.e. ;-)

regarding the commenting framework... my next plone day is still a week away, i'm afraid... i do think, though, that at the end of the next session i can come up with something demo-able... in the meantime OpenID seems like a nice step forward...

OpenID... it works... sort of...

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 09:18 PM
when i'm logged in and clicking on my preferences link produces a 404. FYI.

seems to work for me

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 10:05 PM
never used openid before.. but it looks like it's working??

Grooooovy, worked for me too

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 10:35 PM
Thanks Martin, you provided incentive for me to finally get an OpenID.

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 10:54 PM
It works :-D

Posted by at Oct 28, 2007 04:50 AM

Posted by at Jul 08, 2009 06:41 AM

What Paul said :)

Posted by at Oct 26, 2007 11:27 PM
Been seeing the OpenID login on a lot of the Plone 3 sites popping up these days... so this will come in handy!

Need to do something about the author link up in the top right corner though... leads to a nasty 404 :)

OpenID is the future...

Posted by at Oct 27, 2007 12:42 AM
... but right now the present is a little messy. Not only do we not have prefs, but also OpenID users can't be assigned permissions through the sharing tab.

Still, there is tremendous potential here. I'd ultimately like to see a Plone site be able to be an openID *server*. ;-)

So it's not just me...

Posted by at Oct 27, 2007 03:37 PM
I created at test instance a couple of weeks ago and logged in with an openid. It seemed to create a temporary unsearchable member named "http" with no real member properties so I deemed it not ready for prime time. So commnenting is the working use case at this time?

I will say that logging in with an openid ssl cert worked fine. The auth in openid is pluggable and not part of the protocol. So the cert working credit should go to I think just got this working, also.

Posted by at Oct 28, 2007 04:52 PM
The current comment framework really needs an update. But what I really like about OpenID is delegation, so you can login with your personal domain.

OpenID guinea pig

Posted by at Oct 29, 2007 08:34 AM
It's the first time I use my openID account except for my test Plone 3.0.2 installation. I'm thrilled. I swear it's the last time I do that sort of pseudo-spam ;-).

openid is good

Posted by at Nov 01, 2007 07:29 AM
Now why can't we all standardize on openid...

Posted by at Feb 04, 2008 05:12 PM
This is great. I have been looking for a work-around for form submission without having anonymous access. How did you structure the permissions of openid users?

open id is not a good way to prevent comment spam

Posted by at Feb 07, 2008 11:31 AM
Hi martin,

OpenID used in this way is not a good way to prevent comment spam. Basically you are still allowing anonymous comments, and it's just a matter of time before spammers start targeting sites that use openid in this way. There are open id providers that give out anonymous throwaway openids like the one I used just now, and that is a perfectly good way to use the protocol. OpenID is good for single sign on to multiple accounts, or to share centrally stored user information, not ever to replace having an account on the server at all.

eric casteleijn (thisfred gmail com)

Sorry, just testing

Posted by at Jul 24, 2008 04:26 PM
Sorry, I'm just testing my openid ... it seems to work. I'm still not sure I get it though - couldn't anyone just type in my oid url?

Openid test

Posted by at Aug 28, 2008 09:29 AM

Openid test

Posted by at Aug 28, 2008 09:33 AM
oi, testando

Openid test

Posted by at Aug 30, 2009 02:40 PM
Just curious as to how this works, I'm using an openid generated by Yahoo.

Posted by at Oct 18, 2009 05:15 PM
some test

Test for openid

Posted by at May 04, 2010 03:35 PM
This is from larry jones

Posted by at Nov 24, 2010 05:21 PM
Just testing ...

... testing, too

Posted by at Dec 03, 2011 12:33 AM

Another test...

Posted by Christian at Dec 03, 2011 12:36 AM

Posted by at Dec 10, 2013 11:11 AM
Plone Book
Professional Plone 4 Development

I am the author of a book called Professional Plone Development. You can read more about it here.